Tuesday, September 9, 2014

A Bright Idea

I was out a couple of weeks ago venturing through some of the antique stores in my little corner of the world and came across a clever idea.  I have seen tons of ideas (especially on Pinterest) where creative folks use vintage bed springs or bed coils to make all sorts of crafty things - vases and letter holders seem to be the most popular use of this vintage find.
 Vintage bed springs, vintage bed coils
But, my most favorite use of them by far I saw hanging in one of these antique shops I visited.  It would have never crossed my mind to use them in lighting in any sort of way, but when I saw the display of hanging bed spring pendants, I was amazed and instantly thought- "why didn't I think of that?"!  I am a sucker for pendant lights anyway and this was just such a simple way to combine my favorite lighting function with something interesting and unique.
Vintage bed springs pendant lighting
I am guessing this could be a fairly inexpensive lighting project too.  I have seen the vintage light kits (bulb + cord) available online and ranging in price from $12-$15 per light.  The vintage bed springs can be about $2-5 depending on the pricing at your local antique store.  I personally think this would be such a fun idea to use in a creative work space, a kids play room, or an outside dining space.  Of course the shop owner in me saw this display and was inspired to use them in some creative way as I look forward to new shop spaces in my future.  
Hanging Pendant Lights Vintage Bed Springs
If you have a bright idea on how to use vintage bed springs, I would love to hear (and see!) what you have found or what you have made.  I am always inspired by how people take vintage finds and architectural pieces and then discover beautiful and creative ways to re-purpose them.  Hoping this "bright idea" inspires you in some way today!






No comments:

Post a Comment