Tuesday, December 2, 2014

The Holiday Season: Christmas Cards

With the Holiday season upon us, I thought I would focus my next few posts on some of the things you may be doing as you enjoy this special time of year.  I know there can be a lot of hustle and bustle that goes on, but hopefully you are finding some time to enjoy the simple things of this season as well - time with family, cozy moments, a little play, and a little rest too.
Smock Paper, Letterpress Cards, Holiday Cards
{Card and photo credit: Smock Paper, Syracuse, NY}
I know the Holiday To-Do lists begin to grow long and the stress begins to grow in size as well, and my hope for you (and for us all) is that there are several things on our lists that we can find joy and meaning in doing.  One of those things for me is sending out Christmas Cards.  I know there are a lot ways to send out Christmas Cards these days - digital, photos, letters, etc. - but I am kind of old fashion I guess with continuing to send out good ole' cards with a simple handwritten note.  I love getting mail, especially handwritten letters and cards, so I try to honor my old fashion side with the sending out of cards each year.
Mint and Maple Designs, Holiday Cards
{Card and photo credit: Mint and Maple Designs, Austin, TX}
This has been something I have always done, and I enjoy doing, but honestly, sometimes it can be more of a task than a joy.  But this year, I am hoping to take this task and add to it a little bit of intentionality and a whole lot of joy!  The card and the message may be simple and the same for each recipient, but the difference I am shooting for this year is to think about each individual that I am sending a card to - think about the connection that I have with them, memories we have shared, special ways they have touched or even shaped my life, and to say a little prayer of thanksgiving and blessing over each one.  It will take time, sure, but that's okay.  My Christmas Card list is full of people that I care about and keep connection with, so it will be time that is well spent and will add joy to my Season.  
Smock Paper, Letterpress Cards, Holiday Cards
{Card and photo credit: Smock Paper, Syracuse, NY}
If you are a card sender too, I have included some favorites of mine in this post.  They are all from local artisans located around our amazing country.  And, I tend to love letterpress cards in particular because they have that handmade, artisan look and feel that appeals to me, so a few of these cards are from letterpress artisans.  Letterpress, by the way, is actually a printing technique that uses relief printing (ink applied to type and pressed against paper) and it has actually made somewhat of a revival in the printing world because of it's artisan touch.  There are lots of talented card designers and letterpress artisans out there, but these are some of my favorites.  Take a look at each of these and hopefully you will find a card set (or more!) that will send the message you are looking to send this Holiday.
Egg Press, Holiday Cards, Letterpress Cards
{Card and photo credit: Egg Press, Portland, OR}






No comments:

Post a Comment